Tuesday, September 7, 2010

DuPage Art League site map

The site map was giving me a big headache. There was something about it that I couldn't quite get my head around. Maybe it was that when you show, say, a "members" page , there is no quick copy or indication to the client in the document as to what will that actual page say. What will be included in that page, because as we all know, lots and lots can be included on one page (see DAL site)! Plus, could not figure out where to put the information in the 'pyramid'. Time to do some research. I found some great stuff, some of which actually inspired my site map. My brain relaxed and sprang into action when I saw a sample site with Home in the center. Now this made sense. See  samples.







This is interesting in that it answers the question about what content actually goes on the page that you have indicated on the sitemap.



Ok, this one is mind-blowing, but cool and out of the box. Try selling this to a client...
















This one I really liked and used it to help
organize my thinking on the DAL site map. http://www.smartdraw.com/resources/glossary/web-site-map/




So this is what happened when I tried the idea of putting Home in the center. The thinking became a lot easier and intuitive for me (contrary to how it appears). Only problem is that I think there is an importance level attached to the order that you put your main Nav. tags. Maybe you just explain it to client in a clock-wise direction!







I like it. Changed some Main Nav. names etc. so it makes more sense to me and hopefully will ultimately make more sense for users too. 







No comments:

Post a Comment